Easter Sermon Series
Morning Services 14 April – 2 June 2019
Whenever God wants to say something really important to us, he usually says it more than once. That’s why there are four distinct eye-witness accounts of the death and resurrection of Jesus, each written from a slightly different perspective to bring out unique and complementary themes.
All four Gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – agree 1) that very early on the first Easter Sunday morning, 2) that several women went to embalm Jesus’ body with spices, 3) that they found to their great consternation an empty tomb, 4) that men arrived at the scene soon after and found the same thing, 5) that there was general confusion and unbelief before 6) Jesus appeared alive to several different people at different times.
This year, we’re following the narrative in John’s Gospel; probably the last of the four to be written down and with a distinct purpose in mind; “These things are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life” (John 20.31).
So this is not just a story about life, it’s a story that claims to impart life.
- 14 April at 9am – Royal Visit. Zechariah 9.9-13 and John 12.12-33. Gillian Davison
- 14 April at 10.30am – Royal Visit. Zechariah 9.9-13 and John 12.12-33. Gillian Davison
- 21 April at 9am – Seeing Is Believing. Psalm 16.1-11 and John 20.1-10. John Lambert
- 21 April at 10.30am – Seeing Is Believing. John 20.1-10. Erin Bunford
- 28 April at 10am – Why Are You Crying? (APCM Service) John 20.11-18. John Lambert
- 5 May at 9am – Peace, Power and Purpose. Ephesians 2.13-18 and John 20.19-23. Scott Linnett
- 5 May at 10.30am – Peace, Power and Purpose. Ephesians 2.13-18 and John 20.19-23. Scott Linnett
- 12 May at 9am – Unless I See… 1 Peter 1.3-9 and John 20.24-29. John Lambert
- 12 May at 10.30am – Unless I See... 1 Peter 1.3-9 and John 20.24-29. John Lambert
- 19 May at 9am – Visiting Speaker (Mike Taylor)
- 19 May at 10.30am – Visiting Speaker (Mike Taylor)
- 26 May at 9am – It Is the Lord! 1 Corinthians 15.1-8 and John 21.1-14. Paul Clayton
- 26 May at 10.30am – It Is the Lord! 1 Corinthians 15.1-8 and John 21.1-14. Paul Arnold
- 2 June at 9am – Do You Love Me? Deuteronomy 6.1-5 and John 21.15-25. Preacher TBC
- 2 June at 10.30am – Do You Love Me? John 21.15-25. Preacher TBC