Elisha Sermon Series
Morning Services 29 September – 24 November 2019
The First and Second books of Kings in the Old Testament chronicle the sorry tale of the decline and fall of the Kingdom of Israel, from the time of Solomon, when it was at its zenith in terms of power, prosperity and prestige, to the Fall of Jerusalem; a national humiliation and unprecedented disaster.
But every now and again, there are bright spots; a good king who stops the rot – for a while, a great, national turning to God and subsequent deliverance, or a prophet raised up by God and anointed to minister in signs and wonders. Two such prophets were Elijah and Elisha who operated during the reigns of evil monarchs Ahab, Jezebel, Jehoram and Jehu.
It is said that the key to success is succession and, in Scripture, there are few better examples of an apprentice who matches or surpasses his master than Elisha. His mentor, Elijah, was a hard act to follow; supernatural provision, raising the dead, fire from heaven, fearless confrontation of wickedness… it’s all there, but Elisha’s ministry was just as remarkable, if not more so.
As we look to embrace an apprenticeship culture at All Saints’, with the aim of doubling our leadership capacity, we’ll learn a lot from Elisha. This is why we’ll be focusing on 2 Kings 2-6 over the autumn.
- 29 Sept at 9.00am – Double Portion (2 Kings 2.1-14, Luke 24.44-53) John Lambert
- 29 Sept at 10.30am – Double Portion (I Kings 19.19-21 and 2 Kings 2.1-14) John Lambert
- 6 Oct at 9.00am – Three Tests (2 Kings 2.15-25, Luke 10.1-12) John Lambert
- 6 Oct at 10.30am – Three Tests (2 Kings 2.15-25) John Lambert
- 13 Oct at 9.00am – The Widow’s Oil (2 Kings 4.1-7, 2 Corinthians 9.8-15) Kevin Storer
- 13 Oct at 10.30am – The Widow’s Oil (2 Kings 4.1-7) Kevin Storer
- 20 Oct at 9.00am – Life to the Dead (2 Kings 4.8-37, Luke 7.11-17) David Emerton
- 20 Oct at 10.30am – Life to the Dead (2 Kings 4.8-37) Kathryn Belmont
- 27 Oct at 9.00am – Kitchen Nightmares (2 Kings 4.38-44, Luke 9.12-17) Andrew Killick
- 27 Oct at 10.30am – Kitchen Nightmares (2 Kings 4.38-44, Luke 9.12-17) Michael Smith
- 3 Nov at 9.00am – Now I Know… (2 Kings 5.1-16, Luke 4.24-30) Brian Wake
- 3 Nov at 10.30am – Now I Know… (2 Kings 5.1-16) Sola Adeboye
- 10 Nov at 9.45am – Remembrance Service
- 17 Nov at 9.00am – Where Did I Lose It? (2 Kings 6.1-7, Luke 12.22-31) John Lambert
- 17 Nov at 10.30am – Where Did I Lose It? (2 Kings 6.1-7) John Lambert
- 24 Nov at 9.00am – More Than... (2 Kings 6.8-23, Matthew 10.28-31) John Lambert
- 24 Nov at 10.30am – More Than... (2 Kings 6.8-23, Romans 8.35-39) John Lambert